Household Food Waste
Research has found that in the UK throwing away £13 billion of household food waste in a year (about 7.3 million tonnes). Some waste is inevitable (egg shells, tea bags, etc) but a large proportion of this waste can be avoided. Get into te habit of using up what you’ve already bought before you buy more groceries. This is especially important with fresh produce such as fruit or vegetables, bread, etc. Checking what you have in the fridge and cupboard before making a shopping list, as many buy in bulk to ‘save money’ yet end up wasting the food.
Technology and Gadgets
Technology seems to date so quickly and there’s always a new gadget people purchase. Sometimes we really do just need to think seriously about whether we do actually need that shiny new toy or whether we are just buying it for the sake of it. Other times though you may need to upgrade or buy a new piece of technology and in these cases you can do it knowing it won’t go to waste. Gumtree, Facebook or Freecycle are all good places to sell or donate your old technology to someone who will get good use out of it.
Fashion too has become very disposable, as it is often cheaper to buy a new item of clothing than it is to repair the old. Buying cheap isn’t always the most cost effective in the long run though, and spending a bit more to buy quality will usually mean it lasts longer and works out less expensive on a ‘cost per wear’ basis. However there are situations where it may be difficult to avoid purchasing clothes that will only be worn a few times. Clothing is at least one of the types of potential waste that can most easily be reused or recycled. You can sell at car boot sales or on Facebook, or donate to a local charity.
When you want a reliable, trustworthy and efficient rubbish clearance company in London, then Quickwasters will cater for your need. We focus on providing both domestic and commercial services in a way that surpasses the expectations of all our clients. To us, every customer deserves to be pleased with the important job that they have set us to do, and we do it efficiently while protecting the environment.
What Quickwasters the best in the capital?
- Clients have different rubbish removal needs, and that is why we offer diversified services where we take care of all types of rubbish. Among the many services that we provide are office, garage, house, garden, junk and outdoor rubbish clearance. Have no stress about your electrical equipment and hazardous waste as we will remove it without causing any harm to you, us and the environment.
- Asking for services from any company means that you trust them to do the job right and that is what you get with us. We are a trustworthy rubbish company with various testimonials from customers. We have professional workers, and you can contact our customer service at all times. When you contact us, we will carry out the job at the requested time, and at all times we strive to finish the work on time.
- Our main aim is to clear rubbish without harming the environment. As a result, we focus more on healthy waste management practices that involve reusing, reduction and recycling without having to take any amount to the landfill.
- Rubbish clearance doesn’t have to be an expensive process as our prices are affordable. We give you a free quote as well as different packages, and you can choose the one that is by your budget. The set price is what you will pay, and no extra charges are requested afterwards.
- We only hire professionals and experts in their respective fields so as to provide only the best services. When going for a job we bring all the tools and equipment needed and our workers are clean and wear the right outfits for safety purposes.
- Our flexible work schedule allows us to meet customers’ requirements and we even customize services to ensure satisfaction.
You may have the need to clear your work place out from any equipment that is no longer useable or broken. You also may be relocating to pastures new and need everything that your business requires to operate to be transported with you.
With the ever changing improvements in technology, you may also have a large amount of electrical equipment to dispose of or recycle. You cannot put electrical equipment in with your normal waste although it can be recycled. You will need to stick to the rules of the Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment (WEEE) Directive, you can out more about this in this short guide.
If you are deciding to move buildings to expand our maybe downsize your office space, there are a lot of things that you will need to organise and consider. You will need to sort out and separate items into what you are taking with you, what you wish to throw away, what can be recycle and maybe you have some items that you can give to charity.
You can get in touch with the team at Quickwasters today for some professional advice on clearing your work place or office. If you need to relocate or need any items cleared, give us a call today!
Over £6 billion can be saved by businesses in the United Kingdom if everyone of them improved their daily recycling habits and was a little more careful on what they purchased.
You don’t have to just recycle at home. Work places will most likely produce more waste than daily family life depending on the size of the company and type of business that you run.
Firstly, you should find a company that will be able to provide you with adequate containers for the type of waste that you produce and be able to collect it for you on a daily basis.
It will be a good idea to make all of you staff aware of the recycling containers, where they are and encourage everybody to take part. You can use email reminders and posters to make everyone more aware.
There are many little things also that people can do by changing some of the daily habits or routines.
1. Try using mugs or glasses instead of throw away plastic cups to produce less plastic items
2. Only buy recycled products if possible
3. Recycle you printer ink cartridges or better still have them refilled
4. Try using both sides of the paper to print on
All of these little things added up can really make a difference, if every business in the country applied similar techniques it would be huge.
Quickwasters are always here to help you with your wastes and recycling needs. Please get in touch if you are in the London area and need some assistance or helpful and friendly advice.
The large majority of household waste that is produced can be recycling into other things. It is estimated that 70% of what the average family throw out on a weekly basis is recyclable. If you take some care with this, you will save room in your main rubbish, bin, reduce the amount of waste that goes to landfill and save your local authority money.
To start with you should have a place at home where everything can be stored in separate containers. This can be boxes, bags or bins. Your local council will provide you with these. If you do not currently have these, you can contact them through their website to order what you need.
Nearly all paper and card can be recycled. Flatten out old boxes so you can get more room in the container. Books, birthday cards and old toilet roll tubes can be put together.
Nearly all plastic containers are also recyclable. If you are unsure, just check the packaging. Some lids are not recyclable and this will be stated. These will have to go into the normal bin for disposal.
Metal is also recyclable. Any tin foil, tinned goods and old deodorant sprays can go into the same box. You should rinse out old food cans so that additional mess will not happen and you will avoid bad smells.
Find out where your recycling poin is in your area. You will be able to take old bottles, plastic, paper and card and even old clothes there. You can get this from the local council’s website.
You will have a limit to what you can have taken away from your collection date. If you have large amounts, it is advised to use the services of a local, reputable and licensed rubbish removal company to removal any unwanted items from your home or business premises.
It is good to refurbish your garden every now and then, but how do you dispose of the waste that you build up during the process?
Garden refurbishment does not just include maintaining a lawn or plants. There are other things that may need attending to which could be paving, driveways or garden fences. This will produce some waste that will not be able to go in your normal weekly collection bin.
Garden tasks that will produce green waste will be cutting back bushes and trees, cutting grass or soil which can all be recycled or reused in some way.
If you are having a fence repair, you will need to know what to do with the old wood. Here are five quick tips of what to do and what not to do with the old fence panels.
1. Dont break it up and throw it in the bin as you local council will not accept this and it will not be taken away.
2. Try to be creative and use the wood for something else in th garden or around the house if it is not too damaged. You can get some ideas here.
3. Do not burn the wood as this can be dangerous. Apart from annoying your neighbour, the wood may be treated with chemicals and release toxins in the air
4. Contact your local council to see if they provide a recycling service. They may be able to advise where you can take your items for safe disposal. You will need transport for this thouh
5. Lastly, you can hire a local and reputable rubbish collection service to come and take away your unwanted items so you know that you waste will be dealt with in a safe, law abiding and ethical way.
Business waste is any waste that comes out of any premises used for conducting any business or trading activities. There are several regulations in the United Kingdom that govern how various forms of business wastes should be recycled and disposed. All UK cities and counties are required to dispose waste in a manner that does not endanger the human health or the environment.
It is required to take all necessary measures to
- Reduce or prevent the production of waste. This is to make sure that as little waste as possible is produced so as to protect the health of citizens.
- Use any necessary means to recycle and recover produced waste. This is in view of extracting any raw materials that can be salvaged. The waste can also be used as a source of energy.
- Regulations for hazardous wastes.
This is waste that has the capability of polluting the environment. All businesses are required to exercise strict control measures in every point of its production, management, movement and disposal. Also, the recycling process requires stringent measures.
- Business waste shipment regulations.
The movement of waste between the United Kingdom and other countries is guided by some regulations. There is waste considered too hazardous to be moved around. Other forms of waste usually require a written note authorising the movement of business wastes. In short, every waste control is determined by the destination, reuse and disposal.
It is important for business owners to follow the set regulations of disposing business waste.
Quickwasters have various rubbish collection services available. Please get in touch with our friendly staff for more information.
Waste less, reuse, recycle
There has been a decrease in the amount of waste produced in London over the past three years. However, there are still a lot of work that needs to be done to reach targets.
Recycling is a great way to turn rubbish into something useful. Preventing waste is even better. Therefore, if you reduce the amount that you produce in the first place and reuse things for a second time, you will also avoid the industrial processes that are involved in recycling.
Waste less, shop smart
There are a lot of ways you can produce less waste when you’re out shopping. Follow these tips and you can see how much less waste you will produce.
- Say “no” to single-use bags. Take your own bags when you go shopping. This will also mean you avoid paying 5p per bag.
- When buying gifts, think about how to wrap them in an environmentally friendly way.
- Plan your meals and make a list before going shopping.
- Buy refills of products like washing detergents, coffee, hand wash and use refillable drinking bottles. It is also much cheaper.
- Packaging costs money and can increase the price of goods. A little packaging can help to prolong the life of some foods but try to avoid excess packaging, especially on Easter eggs, toys and individually wrapped items like biscuits. Wherever possible, look for unpackaged products or buy products packaged in reusable or recyclable material.
- Avoid disposable items that are used once and then thrown away. There are other products available which can be reused, for example rechargeable batteries, razors where the head can be replaced and low energy light bulbs.
Either is good and here is why!
Everyone should be concerned about the planets future and how the damage we are doing to it on a daily basis will alter the way the future generations live their lives.
The reason that recycling is so important so we use less energy and produce less materials that can cause harm to wildlife.
Another way of helping is by upcycling. This is similar to recycling but without actually throwing items away. What happens is that you turn unwanted items into something completely new and useable.
Upcycling is all about putting your thinking cap on and being a little creative and this is one of the reasons people do it, a hobby can turn into something productive. Using an old wine bottle as a candle holder,
It is not a new idea and it goes back many years to the 1930’s when time was very tough for families and you had to make do with what you have and make things last as long as possible. This would cut the cost of spending on new things and you reduce the amount of waste that goes into the rubbish removal cycle.
Both recycling and upcycling are great and they both reduce greenhouse gas emissions, energy consumption and pollution so do as much as you possibly can! You can get some great, creative ideas of what to do here!