Some years back, global warming sounded like a myth, a distant possibility that many of us would not live to see. We were told that the world would end, it would become inhabitable, and that time was running out. That was about a decade ago. Today, these things are coming to pass; global warming is real and with us! Just last year, all the leaders of the major super powers in the world met in Paris, France to chart a way forward regarding global warming. Governments accepted to reduce their carbon emissions, so as to slow down the warming of our planet.
Is global warming real, what are some of the things one should look forward to?
- Melting ice; some years back, we had big mountains that had snow capped tops, we had glaciers that were covered by ice. But over the years, they have lost their ice, as temperatures rise and melt that ice! In the coming years, you can expect to see more ice melting from the highest mountains, glaciers and avalanches melting without slowing down.
- Rising sea levels; with the melting ice, this water ends up in the oceans. Today, the water level in most oceans has risen by several inches, compared to the way they were a century ago. Scientists warn that if this trend is not reverted, mankind’s survival on earth is doomed. If the ocean rises even some few centimeters, it could lead to unprecedented disasters.
- Changing weather patterns; the unchecked carbon emissions from the major world economies have tampered with traditional patterns. Long rains and short rains are no longer predictable, as the patters become harder and harder to predict. In future, people should expect hotter summers, and less cold winters.
- Droughts; with changing weather patterns, the world has witnessed unprecedented droughts. From the recent drought in California, one of the worst in history, to the droughts in Sub-Saharan Africa and in Southern Africa, to drought in some Australian plantations; there is a trend that seems to transverse all the continents. The droughts are expected to become more severe in future, and in some cases almost irreversible.
- Flooding; this is another consequence of global warming that we have experienced, and will still continue to experience. Just recently, London witnessed some of the worst floods ever witnessed in the country, a river in the US burst its banks and claimed several lives; flooding is a direct consequence of global warming.
Global warming is real, and if mankind won’t reverse the current carefree attitude towards carbon emissions, we may be doomed as a species.
Tips by http://www.quickwasters.co.uk
Polythene bags, also known as plastic bags have come to play such a central role in our lives; we carry our grocery in polythene bags, we wrap candy and other goodies in polythene bags, almost everything is being wrapped in polythene bags! Yet, polythene is to the environment what cancer is to the human body; they eat up the environment, and ultimately, will spell doom and disaster. In London, there have been attempts to ban the use of polythene, but the efforts haven’t borne much fruits.
So, what exactly are the disadvantages of using polythene in London?
- Even before we delve into the scientific reasons of not having polythene around our homes, let’s start with the basic; polythene can easily choke, and suffocate young children. In fact, most products have a warning; keep polythene away from children.
- Secondly, polythene is not biodegradable, in other words, it doesn’t rot! When you rump polythene around your garden, you simply turn it into a dumpsite as polythene takes years before rotting.
- Polythene dumped in the soil tends to harm microorganisms that live on soil; polythene has chemicals that are toxic to plants, and organisms within the soil particles.
- Polythene is also harmful to marine and aquatic life, and generally to any life around water bodies. Once polythene has been soaked in water for long, it releases chemicals that are harmful to the flora and fauna. Polythene in marine eco systems is always a disaster.
- Still, polythene is such a major culprit when it comes to clogging of drainage systems and pipes. The blocking causes flooding that may have undesirable health consequences, or just interfere with the general flow of water.
- As a Londoner, you may have pets around your home, or farm animals. If your animals digest polythene, the polythene solidifies and forms a solid body in the animal’s intestines. This can be lethal if not treated fast.
- You love your candy, crisps, biscuits, and other household goodies wrapped in polythene, right? Yet, experts warn that polythene used to wrap and preserve foods contain toxins! The colorful decorations you see on the polythene contain cadmium and lead; these are potentially harmful materials that can adversely affect the human health.
- After you have finished with your polythene bags in London, most people tend to burn them as a way of disposal. But when polythene is burnt, it produces Hydrogen cyanide, a cancer causing element. Hydrogen cyanide is not just a carcinogen; it also does much harm to the environment.
In light of the above disadvantages, you now have every reason to reduce or minimize your use of polythene around London.
Tips by Quick Wasters
Can you imagine living without water for a week? Or inhaling polluted air for a day? Well, these things are hard to imagine, we are so used to having the best of them that we just can’t think of it any other way. The air we inhale is free, we wake up, open a tap, find water flowing, shower, brush, cook, this is just so normal! However, if one were to look at the bigger picture, then it is easy to realize just why it is so important to ensure that we protect and conserve the natural resources around. In the words of one Nobel laureate, Nature is very unforgiving. For every action against nature, there’s a reaction. Mind you, the natural resources of the world today are being depleted unlike on any other time in history.
How are natural resources misused or polluted?
- Air pollution can be in form of releasing harmful gases and fumes, or even by what we call sound pollution via loud music and noise.
- When harmful gases are released into the environment, they form an artificial cloud above, and mist. In cities like Beijing, New Delhi, fumes from cars and industries have turned the air into a milky whitish mist that limits visibility.
- As for water, polluted water from industries directed into rivers, streams, has been known to kill aquatic animals, as well as diminishing the plant life therein. Just some years ago, Shell, the Oil Giant, was responsible for one of the worst Oil spills in history, a spill that killed thousands of sea birds and other marine life in the American Gulf coast.
Best ways to conserve air and water;
- When showering, don’t leave the taps running for long, use as little as water as you need.
- Instead of driving to the workplace in your car and emit so much carbon waste, you should consider riding a bike, or using public transport.
- When washing your car, instead of doing it on plain stones or gravel, consider doing so on the lawn or grass. The waste water can irrigate the grass, and reduce the need for later watering.
- Habits like cigarette smoking are not just harmful for your health; the smoke isn’t very friendly to the environment.
- Water can also be recycled; in Israel, waste water and sewerage are recycled, to produce water than can be later used for irrigation, even drinking!
The good thing about protecting our natural resources is that the steps are simple and easy, you can be the change that you want to see.
Message from http://www.quickwasters.co.uk
Recycling has been touted as the best way to help conserve the environment; if we were to all use recycled materials, then there would be little need for manufacturing so many new goods and products. Mind you, it is during the manufacturing of goods and products that industries release the most greenhouse emissions. Therefore, it is the high time that we all made a point of always ensuring that we buy recycled products.
- Needless to say, recycled products are always cheaper than newly manufactured products. This is not to say that the former is of a lesser quality than the former. Just that the cost of producing a recycled product is always lesser, and this translates to a cheaper retailing cost.
- Being cheaper, you thus get to save an extra coin here, another there. You can use that money in something else and still enjoy the services offered by the recycled product.
- When clearing waste and rubbish from your home, you can sort all the waste, and put aside whatever can be recycled. You can then arrange with the waste clearance company to have the waste taken for recycling and once complete, you buy the product. This again won’t just help you save money; it will give you joy to know that you’ve made tangible and clear efforts to help conserve the environment.
- According to some statistics, each time there are 20 instances of paper being recycled, it helps save mother nature of 17 adult trees, over 390 gallons of oil, not to mention the over 4100 Kwh of raw energy that would have been used. As such, the air pollution you help save by buying recycled product cannot be quantified in terms of money; it is just a noble action that is priceless.
- Nowadays, manufacturing companies and major shops have embraced recycling so much, and are using that fact to woo in more customers. When shopping, you’ll notice that recycled goods have a sticker on the side, indicating that the product has been recycled. Always go for such products, for it shows that the manufacturer has gone to great lengths to protect the environment. Mind you, many manufacturers are too greedy and guided by profits, that they hardly pay attention to recycling.
In some major shopping stores, entire areas have been designated as Green zones; here, you’ll find a collection of all day to day items that have been recycled. Purchasing such is not only cheaper, it is a noble thing to do.
Although London boasts of some reputable and world class rubbish removal companies, Quick Wasters has emerged as one of the best companies around. Quick Wasters has changed the way people used to view their waste management; theirs is more than just service delivery, it is like a combined effort in helping protect the environment. As such, the client base at Quick Wasters has continued to grow, and today, they serve more people around London than never before.
- Machinery and tools; Quick Wasters has invested in the latest machinery and tools, to ensure that their waste clearance services in London meet international standards. Gone are the days when bulky waste like old sofas would be manually lifted, and painfully transported to a waiting truck. Today, Quick Wasters have modified trucks that can hoist, and lift the bulky waste not just from your house, but even on the top floor of a flat.
- Personnel; where other waste clearance companies in London hire waste collectors with an eye on minimizing wages and cost of doing business, Quick Wasters doesn’t have limitations. Here you’ll find a pool of qualified, experienced, and physically fit waste collectors. All are trained on the need to be courteous and trustworthy at all times. This has just gone ahead to make the company one of the most sought after in and around London.
- Eco friendly; Quick Wasters puts much emphasis on being eco friendly in their pursuit to help Londoners manage their waste. All their methods of waste collection and disposal are friendly to the environment. Seeing that many people in London are paying more and more attention to global warming, Quick Waster’s adherence to eco friendly policies has augured well with many Londoners.
- Tree planting; like mentioned before, Quick Wasters make it look like a partnership towards helping conserve the environment. They advice, and encourage Londoners to plant more trees around their homes. Besides, Quick Wasters has a policy that when they come to do home clearance in London, they give a handsome discount for anyone who has a neat garden that is thriving with plants and trees. In some instances, they even offer free garden clearance in addition, just to encourage people to plant more trees.
If you live in London, there is only one company that will help you manage your waste, and also help you contribute towards making the planet a better place; Quick Wasters. Contact them today, they are pros, they always get the job done.
The effects and impacts of climate change are no longer a myth, or a rumor; they are out there in the open for everyone to see. Today, the harmful emission of harmful gasses to the environment, the reduction of forest cover; all these have contributed towards the current unpredictable weather patterns, air pollution, and droughts in most parts of the world. Global warming has been caused primarily by harmful practices of mankind towards Mother Nature.
So, how can I help Mother Nature remain unharmed, undisturbed, on a personal level?
On a personal level, we can sum up in 3 main ways, the things you can do to help mother nature overcome the greed of mankind; reduce, reuse, recycle.
Reduce; as an individual, try engraving in your daily habits, a tendency to reduce your usage of whatever commodity you’re using. Reduce the electricity you consume monthly by investing in energy saving bulbs, or make use of transparent roofing sheets that will let light inside your house in the daytime. Do not leave lights on when no one needs them. Reduce the amount of water you use in your household; wash your car close to your garden or lawn so that water irrigates the plants therein. Avoid washing and cleaning items with the tap running; rather, get a basin to reduce water wastage.
Reuse; out of the rubbish generated in your household or office premises, quite a huge percentage of that waste can be reused. This starts from simple things like ensuring that you use both sides of a paper before throwing it away, to more complex ones like converting and repainting old car tires in your home, and then using them to enhance the aesthetic value of your driveway. These tires can be half buried lining both sides of your driveway, and then painted creatively; they always give the home a great look.
Recycle; recycling will also help you spare Mother Nature the loss of resources she would have undergone to produce new items. Harmful gases are emitted and much fossil energy used, each time a new item is manufactured. But recycling helps manufacture a new item, without using new raw materials.
These 3 methods are the bottom-line; you should embrace them and make a tangible contribution towards helping the environment remain fresh and healthy.
Just late last year, world leaders gathered in Paris, France, to come up with a global environmental agreement that would see countries reduce their carbon emissions. Why would world leaders, leaders of the powerful and wealthy nations come together to talk about the environment, while there are other pressing problems like terrorism? Well, the truth is that the challenges that the environment faces are worse than terrorism; unless the world takes a common stand towards protecting the environment, mankind’s very existence is in jeopardy.
So what does it exactly mean to be environmentally responsible?
Being environmentally friendly simply means being thoughtful of our day to day activities, in relation to the environment we live in. From our lifestyles, to driving to the workplace, to how we spend our day at work; all these provide us with an opportunity to be eco responsible.
How to eco responsible;
When you rise up in the morning, what do you do fast? When ironing your clothes to go to work, do you mind your usage of power, or you care less? Always start with the clothes that need more power, and finish with the light ones that won’t consume much power.
- When it is time to go to work, again, think of all the co2 your car emits, just to drive 2 miles away to work. Consider opting for public transport, or ride a bike to work; it’s healthier anyway, besides reducing your carbon emissions.
- When you arrive at work as the first person in the morning, open the windows, let natural light come in. Switch off security lights and others that are not in use during the daytime.
- When it is meal time at work, don’t rush to throw away left over foods; wrap them nicely, and consider carrying them home in the evening to feed chicken, or dogs. Preparing new meals for your pet or yourself always consumes energy that is derived from the environment.
- Plant trees/ flowers; planting trees not only makes your home or work place beautiful; it also helps consume the c02 produced by industries and by man.
- Avoid junk foods; one may assume that junk foods are bad only for your health; but truth is that they also harm the environment. Junk foods bought from supermarkets are wrapped in polythene bags that litter the compound, and are also difficult to rot when disposed of. Besides, most of these junk foods like sugary beverages, fried chicken, candies, all are produced in large-scale industries that consume thousands of tons of coal and energy each year. Supposing we all kept off from junk foods? The world would be a cleaner, healthier place to be in!
Everyone loves to go home to a clean and tidy house after a long day at work. Similarly, we all desire to raise and bring up our children in clean and tidy homes. As such, we must put in place practical steps that will ensure that our houses are always clean and lovely places to be in;
1. Collective responsibility; the first and most important tip to keeping your home clean, is by understanding that it is a collective responsibility. Everyone living in that house has a responsibility to keep the house clean.
2. Rubbish bins; have rubbish bins placed strategically within your home. This greatly reduces littering.
3. Leftovers; food leftovers should always be cleared from the kitchen soonest. They attract cockroaches and rodents if left for long.
4. Recycle; out of the rubbish generated from your home, find out what can be recycled, and used for a better purpose.
5. General cleaning; set apart one day of the week when you will be doing a general cleaning of your home. On this day, you can get your kids to help you in cleaning the glass windows, tending to the garden, de staining your sinks, etc.
6. Dishes; always clear dishes from the dining table immediately, regardless of whether they will be cleaned immediately or later.
7. House cleaning companies; you can also hire the services of house cleaning companies to help you keep your home clean.
8. Furniture; invest in furniture that can go for long without showing any signs of dust or need for cleaning. Brightly colored sofas for instance are great to the eye, but a nightmare to keep looking clean.
9. Mopping; you don’t have to wait all week to get time to clean your house thoroughly; in the meanwhile, you can mop electronics, furniture, with a wet piece of cloth.
10. Be smart; polythene bags are some of the worst forms of rubbish at home, and are hard to dispose of. When shopping for your groceries, go with your own basket rather than relying on the store to wrap all your items in polythene bags.
11. Train your kids; train your kids to collect any foods they drop on the floor when feeding, and clearing their own dishes after meals.
12. Inform visitors; if your home has a spacious compound, neat lawns and flower gardens, then when visitors visit you should always inform them to maintain cleanliness. Some people have a tendency to litter compounds anyhow; inform them in advance not to litter the compound, or erect a sign in your compound, requesting your guests to avoid littering.
13. Garden; a garden also plays a huge role in the general appearance of your home. Always keep it clean.
14. Reduce; reduce the amount of everything, from the water or electricity you consume, to the waste you generate.
15. Reuse; lastly, reuse whatever can be reused out of your home rubbish.
When it comes to collecting and clearing rubbish from your household, you’ll be required to have a comprehensive and well thought out strategy. This is because your household needs to be tidy at all times, regardless of whether you’re home or away at work. One great way of being in control of your household waste is by hiring the services of a rubbish removal company. Yet, not all rubbish generated from your home is really waste! In other words, recycling some of the rubbish is something that you should consider.
What is the best way to go about recycling household rubbish?
The first step towards recycling some of the waste produced in your household is by sorting your rubbish properly before disposal. Often, your rubbish collection company will offer you some rubbish bins that you place around your home. When throwing away rubbish, you sort it and throw it at the correct bin. Food wastes, vegetable wastes, these can be thrown away inside one bin. Others like old rusted spoons, damaged water heaters, plastic bottles and broken plastic basins; all these can be put in another bin.
Call in a rubbish collections company
Having sorted the rubbish, call in your waste clearance company to come and collect the waste in your household. These companies have the expertise to not just dispose of the waste generated around your home, but to also take for recycling whatever can be recycled. By having sorted out your rubbish in advance, you save them the time they would have taken trying to sort out what’s recyclable from all the rubbish present. Rubbish removal companies usually take the recyclable waste for recycling, and then later manufacture things like rubbish bins, working gloves, from them. This helps conserve the environment, and also leave your home looking great.
Hiring the services of rubbish collection companies, and embracing recycling at a household level, these two go hand in hand. The latter relies on the former to direct the recycling process. In this day and age, we all have a joint responsibility in preaching recycling and living it up by example.
Cleanliness is second to godliness and as a home owner, the cleanliness and tidiness of your homestead is entirely dependent on you. While the best option would be for you to personally do all the cleaning required in your house, there are times you’ll find yourself very busy, or away from home for long duration. Does that mean that your house should remain untidy? Not really. In such instances, the best thing to do would be for you to hire the services of a house clearance company around you.
How can one pick a good house clearance company, where would one start?
- To begin with, conduct a quick search on the internet. In this day and age of the internet, almost all waste clearance companies worth that title do have a website where you will find their details and contacts.
- Having identified the numerous house clearance companies online, select those that operate close to your area. This is important because it means that they have experience collecting waste around your home, and are conversant with all the legal requirements of doing so.
- What is the reputation of the company you’re interested in? Many waste clearance companies have been known to promise heaven and promise very excellent results, only for them to fail you miserably. Get a company what has a reputation for delivering its side of the bargain.
- Experience is also very important. The longer a house clearance company has been in operation, the likelier it is to do a great job.
- While some waste clearance companies specialize in collecting waste in certain settings, others do combine and multitask. For instance, some companies offer office clearance, commercial building waste clearance, industrial waste clearance, to mention but a few. Opt for a company that specializes in house waste clearance.
- Having put all the above factors into consideration, then you’re almost there. You only need to now ensure that the company has fully embraced eco friendly ways. In this day and age when the implications and consequences of global warming are so evident, the last thing you need is a waste clearance company that is blind to any harm on Mother Nature. Companies that use harmful and strong chemicals when clearing waste, or do not embrace recycling should be ignored in favor of those that do. Besides, even the disposal of harmful waste and other toxic materials must always be done far away from residential areas, and in an eco friendly way. Most companies will even offer you scented bins for putting in waste that have been made of recycled materials.
Make use of the above tips when looking for a good house clearance company.