Everyone loves to go home to a clean and tidy house after a long day at work. Similarly, we all desire to raise and bring up our children in clean and tidy homes. As such, we must put in place practical steps that will ensure that our houses are always clean and lovely places to be in;
1. Collective responsibility; the first and most important tip to keeping your home clean, is by understanding that it is a collective responsibility. Everyone living in that house has a responsibility to keep the house clean.
2. Rubbish bins; have rubbish bins placed strategically within your home. This greatly reduces littering.
3. Leftovers; food leftovers should always be cleared from the kitchen soonest. They attract cockroaches and rodents if left for long.
4. Recycle; out of the rubbish generated from your home, find out what can be recycled, and used for a better purpose.
5. General cleaning; set apart one day of the week when you will be doing a general cleaning of your home. On this day, you can get your kids to help you in cleaning the glass windows, tending to the garden, de staining your sinks, etc.
6. Dishes; always clear dishes from the dining table immediately, regardless of whether they will be cleaned immediately or later.
7. House cleaning companies; you can also hire the services of house cleaning companies to help you keep your home clean.
8. Furniture; invest in furniture that can go for long without showing any signs of dust or need for cleaning. Brightly colored sofas for instance are great to the eye, but a nightmare to keep looking clean.
9. Mopping; you don’t have to wait all week to get time to clean your house thoroughly; in the meanwhile, you can mop electronics, furniture, with a wet piece of cloth.
10. Be smart; polythene bags are some of the worst forms of rubbish at home, and are hard to dispose of. When shopping for your groceries, go with your own basket rather than relying on the store to wrap all your items in polythene bags.
11. Train your kids; train your kids to collect any foods they drop on the floor when feeding, and clearing their own dishes after meals.
12. Inform visitors; if your home has a spacious compound, neat lawns and flower gardens, then when visitors visit you should always inform them to maintain cleanliness.
Some people have a tendency to litter compounds anyhow; inform them in advance not to litter the compound, or erect a sign in your compound, requesting your guests to avoid littering.
13. Garden; a garden also plays a huge role in the general appearance of your home. Always keep it clean.
14. Reduce; reduce the amount of everything, from the water or electricity you consume, to the waste you generate.
15. Reuse; lastly, reuse whatever can be reused out of your home rubbish.