Energy recovery from the wastes is the process of generating energy from the various waste materials which are ready for the disposal unit. The energy is either electricity, heat, or fuel that can be used in homes or commercial places.
In other terms, Energy Recovery is the process of converting non-recyclable waste materials into useful energy through processor combustion, gasification, landfill gas recovery, anaerobic digestion, and pyrolization. This is also known as waste- energy cycle.
Energy recovery is the key part of the waste management process, helps to convert solid wastes and hazardous wastes into useful energy. This process involves various waste management strategies and it helps to minimize the wastes in the disposal units. The burning or combustion process is the one among the effective process in waste -energy cycle, here not only the volume of wastes reduced but also the wastes are recovered as energy after the combustion process. The energy recovery process has lots of benefits like it limits carbon emission by generating renewable energy sources and it also reduces the emission of methane gas from landfills. This process also helps to prevent the atmosphere from the various pollution, reduces greenhouse gases, and makes the environment healthy and green.
What are the advantages of Energy Recovery?
The energy recovery setup process may require an initial amount but this the one-time investment that helps you to reduce wastes and improve your environment.
- Reduces the quantity of waste material from residential and commercial places
- Helps to maintain an efficient waste management process
- Generation of heat and power
- Helps to reduce the pollution in the environment
- Saves transportation cost spends of collecting the wastes from home to the disposal unit
- Prevent the emission of unpleasant odor
- Helps to prevent the emission of methane gas
- Also helps to keep away the various gems and diseases
- This process is not dependent on any weather, works on all weathers
- Requires only a small area.
Top 3 Energy Recovering Process
Combustion is the process of burning the waste materials in the enclosed area and treating the disposing of solid and hazardous wastes. The combustion process involves two separate categories one for solid hazardous wastes and another one is for liquid hazardous wastes. The two categories of the combustion process are named as
- Incinerators – This the combustion process used only to recover the energy.
- Boilers and Industrial Furnaces – This process is used to convert energy and material recovery.
Gasification is the process of creating energy from the wastes. Here the carbonaceous materials are converted into carbon dioxide and carbon mono oxide and also produce little hydrogen gas in the presence of oxygen at the high temperature. In the process of Gasification, synthesis gas is generated from hazardous wastes and it can be used to produce heat or electricity.
3. Landfill gas recovery
Landfill gas recovery (LPG) is the process of collecting methane gas from the wastes deposited in landfills. LPG is the product that arrives from the decomposition of organic substances in landfills. The LPG is the combination of an equal amount of methane and carbon dioxide and a small number of organic compounds.