The Facts of Food Waste in 2022

Facts About Food Waste

Every year, the world can generate 1.6 billion tonnes of waste. It is a major problem and affects the economy. Food waste is not only the food that goes to the bin. It describes all production from water to land and labor. Food waste is thrown away outside and ends up with landfilled and water surface areas, then it releases methane, a dangerous greenhouse gas that destroys our environment and natural resources. In this article, we would learn the facts of food waste in 2022.

Food Waste Categories

Food waste categories

Typically, food waste can be divided into 5 types, it’s been

1. By-Product Food Waste

It represents solid food products that are manufactured in agriculture. It includes peeling fruits and vegetables.

2. Expired Products

Expired products are food packages that have crossed their due date in shops and supermarkets. These are not properly recycled or disposed of these days.

3. Leftovers

It refers to household waste or left-over waste that occupies some space in your house.

4. Bakery and Packaged Food Waste

These are fatly cooked and packaged food items that spoil quickly.

5. Food Waste Facts

There are many factors available for reducing food waste. However, the UK generates a large amount of food waste in Europe. Still, today, 1/3 of food waste items are directly sent to the waste bin. Every single year, UK people throw away 9.5 million tonnes of food waste. On the other hand, 8.4 million people live in the UK with food poverty.

Why Is Food Waste A Problem?

Why Is Food Waste A Problem

Food waste is one of the significant problems on our planet. Because food waste is the highest release of methane gas. As the report of EPA says, methane is very harmful than carbon dioxide. Moreover, food waste is an important economic problem.

How To Reduce Food Waste?

There are various ways we can reduce food waste. Here we give some best methods to reduce food waste.

Food Waste in The Place of Work

If you work in an office, organization, and factory, you can see the food waste in your surroundings. Because your employees waste their lunch or snack while sharing that with other people. No one will care about food waste. So, you can notice that and advise them to bring their own lunch.

1. Food Waste in Restaurants

If you visit a restaurant, you can see many seasonal food products. Don’t buy and store excessive seasonal food. And you can see the labeling and dates for packaged food if you need to buy it. Store your food in a proper container without leakage outside. If you have leftover food, then donate it to local charities.

2. Food Waste at Home

In the home, food waste is generated by children and others. You can advise them to dispose of the waste into the recycling bin. If you go to the supermarket, you should buy the necessary things that come long expired date. It saves money and controls the food waste in your house.

3. Food Waste on Agri

Investing in new technology is a great way for Agri. That makes the work easier to monitor the crop and other plants, and it gives less chance for the crop spoiling in the soil.

Which Countries Produce a High Amount of Waste Food?

Food waste differs from one country to another country. The USA, Canada, Belgium, Australia, Austria, Denmark, Lithuania, France are the countries that produce a large amount of waste.

How Much Food Waste Comes from Home and Business?

How Much Food Waste Comes from Home and Business

In the UK, 60% of food waste comes from the house. And the remaining 40% of food waste comes from business industries and hospitals. If you are a business owner, you can take responsibility for food waste management.

How Should I Dispose of My Food Waste?

Food waste disposal is the individual responsibility of everyone. If you own a large business, you can securely dispose of the waste by licensed recycled bins. On the other hand, some food wastes are easily decomposing, and it helps to make organic waste for gardening.

Conclusion

These are the facts of food waste in 2022. In 2022, we will remove food waste without harming our environment.